Tuesday, January 17, 2023

Age Is Just a Number by Ian McIntyre


"Age is just a number",

But I don't think that's true,

My bones and joints would argue that,

My skin and stomach, too.

My muscles are no longer taut,

Sometimes they sag and roll,

My curling days are decreasing weights,

And yardwork takes a toll.

Women remain a mystery,

And, most likely, always will,

But I raise my cup, and call a toast,

To their delightful thrill.

Old friends of mine, departed now,

Have stared into their fate,

There will be a crowd, perhaps some beer,

When I reach that Pearly Gate.

"The older I get...", Trevino said,

"...the better I used to be."

Keeping that in mind, pass me a beer,

And keep your old Green Tea.

Surrounded now by vegan friends,

Who munch on celery stalks,

I need a cheeseburger now and then,

And a bagel layered with lox!

But! My get up and go, I'm pleased to say,

Has not completely went,

Up the ladder, at camp I go,

To sleep in my rooftop tent.

The remote places yet call to me,

Desert, forest and lake,

I'll travel far and wide, you'll see,

Until my final wake.

Staring at a TV screen; 

I think, "to hell with that!",

I'll load the car, with camping gear,

And get a friend to feed the cat.

"You live but once.", we've heard this said,

A million times before,

We have the choice, so grab it now,

Your life is not a bore.

Try something new, break and toss the mold,

Your boundary is your mind,

Expand your limits, fill the universe,

And leave the daily grind.

There'll not be a granite stone,

To mark my resting place,

The kids will burn my bones to ash,

To disappear without a trace.

My day begins by writing this,

Words were tumbling in my head,

Got a lot of discoveries yet to make,

Before I join the Dead!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment